Generation Fame : attempting to dodge our immortality...

>> Monday, January 18, 2010



''In the Japanese aesthetic, what is beautiful is associated with death. It is the cherry blossom falling to the ground; it is the last thing, beautiful in its dying. The elderly, therefore, are more worthy of respect; they are more beautiful!" -Makoto Fujimura




If you're old enough, you've probably had the lyrics to Fame (with its proclamations of living forever) stuck in your head. In America, we frown upon aging. We cast our elderly to the side and do our best to forget about them. Everywhere we look, whether it be on billboards or television, products are being advertised that promise to prolong our mortality and longevity. In the midst of our dodging and denial, we are reminded that our life on Earth is but a vapor. We are reminded again and again in the form of childhood cancer. Stillbirths. Miscarriages. Earthquakes. Hurricanes. Accidents. Suicides. We are reminded that death happens. We look into the eyes of aging earthen vessels, and we fail to see the humanity in them. We only see death. If we were to look at the treasure that is hidden in their decaying bodies, would we treat them the way that we do? If tribes of people in the most remote corners of the globe can appreciate and incorporate the elderly and dying into their customs and culture, why can't we?
I have been challenged by the community of Believers that I am plugged into to live more intentionally. To live as if I only had 30 days left to live. If I were to really let that possibility sink in, how differently would I live out my life? Ho would I treat people? What would I change?
If given only 30 days to live, how would you live? What would happen if we all lived our lives as if every second and every person mattered? What would that world look like?

5 comments:

Zombie January 18, 2010 at 1:56 PM  

Great thought to ponder, my inclination is that may would rather not ponder it, because of the life change implications involved.

On the elderly. Couldn't agree more. Expensive nursing home let my grandmother pee herself because they were at shift change last week. Nasty thing going on. I wish we could get her out, but she has to rehab her broken hip first.

Zombie January 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

Jesus In Shantytown


Amazing blog title. I wish I would have thought of it first lol

Mandie Oliver January 18, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

I worked in a nursing home when I was younger. Even though it was considered to be one of the better homes, it was still sad. Aside from having their diapars changed and mouths fed, they were left to just wait around for death.
It makes me sad. I don't understand it!

Kaira January 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

Mandie,
I have thought of this so many times. I have lists of things I would do but I can't imagine trying to apply that. For one thing, it is just overwhelming. I do think it's a good idea to purpose to live in such a way. To love the people we love in such a way. To forgive people. To ask for forgiveness. To love. However, if we truly tried to live like we have only a month left that I suspect we'd not get much of anything done. :) It would be a happy, loving month but there'd be much stuff undone. Perhaps it would cut out the "noise" in our lives (TVs, computers, pointless errands, gossip, etc...).

OMSH August 10, 2011 at 7:36 AM  

I was reading this to Emelie and she said, "...different, fo' sho'..."

My new year resolution for 2011 wasn't weight loss or anything so insignificant as that...it was to be "intentional". And so I get that...though honestly if I only had 30 days (and I may...who knows), it is true I would dump much of what is on my plate - toss the plate - and do something entirely different; less ordinary...and by default, more meaningful.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP