What to do when "this too" doesn't seem to pass...

>> Thursday, July 29, 2010

What do those of us who constantly seem to be caught up in a storm do?

Do we give up?

Do we throw our fists up to the heavens and curse the day we were born? (Job did!)

Do we smile and nod when people bring up the fact that we are like a modern day Job? (it has been said)

The answer: sometimes.

Yet these storms, however painful and terrifying and horrible to experience, are used to polish off the rough edges of our hearts and minds.

With each crashing wave that washes over us...

each rock our body slams against...

We are not crushed and devoured.

The surface of our souls are smoothed out so that we can better reflect the King (if we allow Him to work in us).

Although it is our initial reaction to panic and resist,

it is in these storms that we must surrender ourselves to His will and trust that He knows what He is doing.

Yes, it feels as if I am drowning...

but He promises that He has good things for me (even in this).

I am trying to trust and obey even if it hurts.

Even if I want to throw in the towel.

Resolve is coming.

Eventually, His story does have resolve.

Through salty lips

I offer up praise.

I can smell restoration in the air.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  July 29, 2010 at 9:47 AM  

This is beautiful. I love your writing. It was a side of you I never saw when we were younger.

You have the right attitude. Just remember, you've already made it through the worst.

Mandie Oliver July 29, 2010 at 9:58 AM  

Josh, thank you. That means a lot to me.

Phoenix Rising July 31, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

I think your so strong. Stronger than I'll ever be. By a million really. I'm still have a real rough go with my relationship with Christ. I haven't lost faith, I haven't lost love nor do I think He doesn't care...I'm just not showing up at His feet anymore. We don't talk. I know he's waiting...and waiting...but I'm not there.

It's so hard. To me it's more of a why put forth the effort kind of thing...but then that makes me fell like a selfish brat! I just feel like my heart can't take anymore polishing...any more chipping away at the rough edges. To much has been torn away...

Your strength astounds me. Maybe you could rub off a little on me! Please..

Anonymous,  July 31, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

Mandie,
It always so great to read your writing. I love the Imagery of a the stones being made smooth by the storm... I feel that way myself, more than ever right now in this new place as God really smooths out a lot of my rough edges that end up hurting those near me who seek to lean on me for strength and hope. Thanks for writing your heart. We are praying for you guys
-Danny Iverson

Mandie Oliver July 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM  

kim,

You have walked through the kind of pain I cannot understand.
In the days of Job and others in that day, those who were mourning tore at their hair and wripped at their clothes. They cried adn moaned and wore their pain right there in the city streets.
Modern day society does not allow for a loved one to properly mourn the loss of the loved one. We have to be strong and hold it together.
how long is too long to grieve? can we put a measure of time on it?
I don't think we can (or should!).

You don't have to speak to Him...just stay at His feet.

I know that it seems crazy...and it's hard...and I cannot say that I have been through what you have...I just know that we have to cling to Him even if we're mad. Even if it hurts.

I love you, Kim.

*You* are strong...

Mandie Oliver July 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

Danny,

Thank you, friend.

Sometimes it seems as if God does His most amazing work when His chidren are in the fire...

(I just wish it didn't hurt so much)

Zombie August 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM  

Being smashed against the rocks hurts. It hurts with every crushing blow. God never told us it wouldn't on the contrary. He said we would be persecuted for Him and to smile and take joy in it. This is hard to do too. But it is good to note that whether it is hard or not, God puts us through things without our expressed permission and make us the person He envisioned us as.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP