Convicted...

>> Monday, March 8, 2010


I have never sponsored a child. I justified this because I am "too poor". I would convince myself that this was okay because my family is on government assistance. I didn't give it much thought because my husband works for the American Red Cross and we serve in other ways.

But that was just an excuse.

Because I have spent a great deal of time praying for a little extra money so that I can buy curtains for my kitchen that match and other odds and ends around the house.

I prayed for extra money so that I could get some cosmetic work on my teeth done.

I prayed for money so that I could take my children traveling.

Are these things bad?

I do not think so.

But something is terribly wrong with the fact that I put these wants above the needs of those who do not even have their basic needs met.

Never once did I pray for extra money so that I could sponsor a child...at least not for today.

And I am ashamed of myself.

I was going to help a child someday.

We all know that someday never comes.

Today I am going to do what I should have done a very long time ago.

I am going to sponsor a child.

It is the least I can do.

Please do not pat me on the back.

Hold me accountable.

Ask me if I am sticking to my word.

If you call yourself a Christian, please consider doing something today to help a child in need.

It's not an elective.

It is something we are commanded to do.

3 comments:

Burkulater March 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

Good post. It seems when you try really hard, you can find the extra money. It's hard to sacrifice, but it's so worth it.

Where's the new little one from?

Mandie Oliver March 8, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

kenya. she is so stinking cute! it was really hard to choose just one. i felt bad.

a barron March 9, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

We keep the picture of our little Amani (also from Kenya) on our fridge...to remind us to pray for him. We are more like Jesus when we give in this way...

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP