More than a homeboy...

>> Tuesday, May 11, 2010



Is this the kind of God we want to worship?

Seriously?

I am tired of the Jesus a lot of people in my generation are peddling. I don't want to kick back with my "buddy" Jesus and have a beer. I don't need the Jesus who is burning incense and reading Rumi. I want the kind of Jesus who is all about His Father's work. The One who will burn this garbage from my heart and mind and cleanse me.

The truth of the matter is that I am a mess. My heart and soul are full of rotting and disgusting things. I need a God who is so much more than my homeboy. I need a God who is going to knock me flat on my face and shake me to the core...because if He doesn't, I am done for.

In a strange turn of events, I am wanting to reconnect with the God I learned about in Sunday school. That God had faithful servants who could care less about popular trends and technology. That God had servants who gave everything they had to serve His people. They didn't have lots of trendy followers, and they certainly weren't flashy...but they were real. Those people...the ones I so desperately tried to distance myself from? They are still going strong and serving the King. They have not placed themselves at the center of the story. They are too busy doing the work of God to sit around talking about intentional community and serving the poor. They are not pointing their fingers like a spoiled teenager at other Christians who do things differently. Their eyes are are fixed firmly on that one cross...you know, the old rugged one.

That's a Jesus I can lay down my life for.

Will the real J. C. please stand up? It's getting hard to see You with all of these imposters in the midst...

"I am the way, the truth, and the the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

2 comments:

rlynne77 May 11, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

protector, provider, strong tower, deliver, redeemer, counselor, defender...yep. But Jesus as my buddy just isn't enough for me. too human...I need a savior.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP